Office of the Clerk & Treasurer

Bridget Brown
City Clerk/Treasurer
Ph: (231) 627-9931

Administration of:

  • City Accounting
  • Investments
  • Debt Service
  • Utility Billing
  • Audits & Financial Reporting
  • Property Tax Collections
  • Elections
  • Cemetery
  • Licenses & Ordinances
  • Accounts Payable/Receivable
  • All City Benefit Programs
  • City Payroll
  • Public Notices
  • Front Desk Operation


Utility Billing

Deputy Clerk/Typist – Front Desk Operation, Council Minutes and Receptionist.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the City’s fiscal year?

July 1 – June 30.

When are tax bills mailed, when are they due and what units of government do they support?

Each taxpayer of the city receives two tax bills each year. The Summer tax bill is mailed at the end of June, including billings for real and personal property, contributes to the operation of the City of Cheboygan, the cities’ Debt Service, the State Education Tax, and is due by July 31st without penalty. The Winter tax bill is mailed at the end of November, includes billings for real and personal property, contributes the to operation of the County, the Cheboygan School System, the Library, the Intermediate School District, the Senior Citizens, and is due by February 14th without penalty.

What is the difference between real and personal property?

Real property represents land and buildings. Personal property represents the furniture, fixtures, and equipment of businesses in the City of Cheboygan.

When are utility bills mailed and when are they due?

Homeowners are billed quarterly (four times a year). Downtown businesses are billed on a monthly basis. The summer bills are based on actual usage, the winter bills, on estimated usage. Payment of bill is due within 30 days of the billing date.
What do the billing codes on my water/sewer bill mean?

The City uses two codes, “10” denotes water usage and “50” is sewer usage.

Where can I register to vote if I live within the City of Cheboygan?

Citizen’s may register at the City Clerk’s office – City Hall, the Secretary of State’s Office, the County Clerk’s Office, or the Department of Human Services.

What Information is needed when I register to vote?

Individuals wishing to register to vote will need a driver’s license, State ID card, or Social Security number and their current address where they physically reside.

If I own a business within the City of Cheboygan, can I use that address to register to vote instead of my home address, which is located outside the City Limits?

No, Michigan Election Law states: “Residence”, as used in the Act, for registration and voting purposes means that place at which a person habitually sleeps, keeps his or her personal effects and has a regular place of lodging. A person knowingly registering to vote in a city or township, that is not their city or township of residence, is guilty of violating State Election Law and can be prosecuted for perjury. Listing a business address on a voter registration form is not permissible, unless the individual actually resides at that address.

What if I have a post office box?

A person must put their post office box on the voter application, along with the street address. The street address must be included in order to place an individual in the correct precinct.

Who do I contact for Pinehill Cemetery?

Gracie Larson – Cemetery Maintenance
Ph: (231) 818-9393

Judy Sanders, Deputy Clerk
Sale of lots and cemetery records.
Ph: (231) 627-9931