The City of Cheboygan is currently accepting applications for Front Desk/Assistant Clerk.
Work is performed under the supervision of the City Clerk or other designated manager of the City.
The Front Desk Clerk is the first point of contact with the public for the City of Cheboygan. This position is responsible for being the positive point of reference for queries, requests or issues and forwarding necessary matter to the appropriate personnel.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Answer multi-line telephone system and properly distribute calls to appropriate personnel.
• Greet customers entering City Hall in a positive, pleasant manner and assist them as necessary.
• Sort and distribute daily mail.
• Communicate with citizens and other City employees the necessary information regarding service, complaints, and other concerns.
• Receipt in all payments to the City of Cheboygan and accurately balance cash drawer at end of day.
• Oversee stocking and purchasing of office supplies and operation and maintenance of general office equipment.
• Maintain and update voter registration records and assist with issuance of absentee voter applications and ballots
• Maintain cemetery records, including recording plot sales and ownership inquiries, when necessary.
• Perform a variety of clerical duties when requested by supervisor.
• Position may be deputized at the discretion of the Clerk.
• Typical administrative practices and processes associated with local government offices or possess ability to acquire and put such knowledge into practice.
• Reasonable knowledge of basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office.
• Experience with BS&A software is beneficial but not required.
• Ability to maintain a pleasant and courteous demeanor working in a fast past environment.
• Ability to work effectively with other employees.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, City officials, other employees, and the general public.
• Effectively respond to a stressful or high-pressure environment.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and carry out office work with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of a High School diploma or GED required.
• Associate degree or equivalent in public or business administration, or related field is preferred.
• Two (2) years of experience in administrative work preferably in a municipal setting or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
• Work is confined mainly to an office setting.
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods. Answering phones, performing keyboarding, computer work, filing, copying and other administrative work are typical duties.
• Must be able to lift approximately 20 pounds.
The position is full time, and the starting pay is $16.92 per hour and $17.94 after six months. A competitive benefit package (including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, MERS retirement plan, 11 paid holidays and a generous earned time off program) are included with this position based upon the current approved union contract.
Application Packet must include resume/cover letter, and a completed City of Cheboygan Employment Application (click here for the City of Cheboygan Employment Application). Your application will not be considered without submitting ALL the required documents. Application packets are accepted by mail, email, or in person to the address below:
The City of Cheboygan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is considered open until filled.
Applications and Resumes can be sent to:
City of Cheboygan
Attn: Alexandria Martin
403 N Huron St.
PO Box 39
Cheboygan, MI 49721
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on November 17th, 2023 in Announcements.