The City of Cheboygan is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and accepts employment applications only for specific positions which are open and solicited.
Current Job Postings
CLERK-TREASURER, CITY OF CHEBOYGAN
The City of Cheboygan is accepting resumes for the combined position of CITY TREASURER/CITY CLERK until 4:00 pm on April 13, 2018.
The City of Cheboygan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
JOB DESCRIPTION: CLERK-TREASURER, CITY OF CHEBOYGAN
JOB TITLE: Clerk-Treasurer
General Statement of Duties:
Performs administrative work conducting the daily business activities of the city including financial management and statutory clerk functions. Assists in preparation of budgets and implements city policies. Keeps records of all council proceedings, handles correspondence on behalf of the city, prepares agendas and executes any assignments given by the council. Has official responsibility for accounting for all receipts and disbursements in regard to city funds. Prepares a variety of financial records. Is responsible for payroll and investments.
Typical Duties Performed:
The listed examples may not include all duties performed by the person in this position. Duties may vary from time to time and are at the discretion of the City Manager, Mayor and City Council. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability.
- All accounting functions and General Ledger transactions/manual journal entries Interfund transfers and year-end audit adjustments. Proficiency in BS & A Software or equivalent which includes Accounts Payable, Payroll, Tax Administration, Cash Receipting and Utility Billing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Custody of all City Funds.
- Monthly reconciliation of City Operating Fund, Debt Funds, Trust & Agency Fund and Payroll Fund.
- Investment of excess City Funds.
- Quarterly MDOT Trunkline Billings ($81,900 budget), Federal 941 Payroll Tax Report, Worker’s Compensation report and monthly on-line Retirement Reports.
- Prepare and administer bi-weekly, monthly and other Payrolls.
- Maintain Payroll software, process new hires and retirees.
- Year-end processing of W-2’s, W-3, 1099’s and 1096 forms.
- Accounts Payable-Payment of all bills including required electronic payments and proper allocation to General Ledger expense and liability accounts and various City Funds.
- Conduct Annual Audit. The audit includes, but is not limited to, all revenues, expenses, Debt Reconciliations, Retirement programs, Water and Sewer Reconciliations and billing practices, Cash Receipting functions, year-end receivables, City payrolls and Adopted and Amended City Budgets.
- Maintain the Munetrix site on the City web site including, but not limited to, annual budgets, retirement, OPEB, future budget, Projections and Debt Schedules. Note: $150,000 in Revenue Sharing in contingent upon timely updating of the site.
- Compute annual millage rates for summer tax roll to cover Debt costs. Maintain detailed Payroll and Operating Fund excel spread sheet as recommended by the Government Accounting Standards Board.
- Conduct all City borrowing which includes Loans, Bond Sales and Installment Purchase Agreements.
- Quarterly debt funds disbursements to Inverness Township.
- Make timely disbursements from the Trust & Agency Fund to other Units that the City is responsible for collections. Conduct annual settlement.
- Various financial reports for Federal and State Agencies, City Council and Department Heads, employees and the public.
- Clerk for City Council
- Administers Oaths, certifies Council actions and various other documents.
- Council minutes.
- Create and maintain Personnel Files, Disability Case files and Workman’s Compensation files.
- Issuance of City Licenses
- Oversees front desk operation.
- Responsible for Cemetery sale of graves, Perpetual Care fees, grounds maintenance and burials and records.
- Publication of Notices.
- Human Resources management including employee Health, Dental & Vision insurances, Disability & Life Insurances and Retirement Programs.
- Manages Worker’s Comp claims, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability claims.
- Calculate yearly Workers’ Comp payroll estimates and conduct year end Workers’ Comp payroll audits.
- Maintain Michigan Department of State Driver Record Subscription Service.
- Manages all property, liability and injury claims filed against the City.
- Acts as City Freedom of Information Act coordinator responding to requests based on the dictates of the FOIA Act.
- Administers all election activity, including but not limited to, processing petitions and other documents for candidates pursuing Mayor or Council seats, purchase of supplies, maintaining election voting systems and related software, hiring and ensuring proper training of Election Inspectors and Precinct Chairs and storage of ballots and other election materials as required by the State of Michigan and the Federal Government.
Education: College graduate with a bachelor’s degree or technical college degree with similar years of experience in accounting, finance or a related field preferred. Or a demonstrated equivalency and experience to education. Course work in computer systems and software applications.
Experience: Minimum of five years of progressively responsible financial management experience including at least two years of experience using an automated system. Must possess an ability to communicate effectively both orally, and in writing. Experience in office organization also desirable. Prior supervisory experience also desirable.
Office Equipment: Experience in the operation of fax, copy machine, computer, printer, telephone, calculator, and audio/video recording devices.