Water & Wastewater Departments

Jason L. Karmol, Director of Public Works
Tim Wilkinson, Crewleader

Business Hours: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday

975 North Huron Street, PO Box 39
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Ph: (231) 627-2582
Fx: (231) 627-2279
Emergencies: (231) 290-2900 (after regular business hours and weekends)

Water Department

The City of Cheboygan Water Department maintains approximately 49 miles of distribution piping, four production wells and one 500,000-gallon water storage tower.

The average daily production is approximately 910,000 gallons.

The Department is also responsible for installing new service taps.

There are approximately 2,021 residential and commercial billing accounts. The Department also serves several customers outside of the city limits, per established intergovernmental agreements.

The City’s water is supplied via groundwater. The water is disinfected with chlorine to ensure that no harmful bacteria are present in the distribution system. We also add a blended phosphate solution (80% polyphosphate and 20% orthophosphate) to control taste, color, and odor complaints that are a result of the dissolved minerals usually found in groundwater sources.

Wastewater Department

The City of Cheboygan Wastewater Department maintains approximately 40 miles of collection system piping, six lift stations and the wastewater treatment facility. It provides service to approximately 2,073 residential and commercial accounts. The department is also responsible for installing new service taps.

The treatment facility currently treats an average of approximately two million gallons per day (2.0 MGD). The plant is rated for an average of 2.5 MGD, with a peak flow capacity of 5.0 MGD during wet weather conditions. During heavy rain events, a 1.3 million gallon flow equalization basin stores excess flow until it can be treated when flows return to normal.

The City of Cheboygan also treats sewage from a small portion of Inverness Twp. and has a contract to maintain their collection system and four main lift stations.

The treatment facility was expanded in 1978 to provide secondary treatment using Rotating Biological Contractors (RBC’s). RBC’s are large disks closely spaced along a rotating shaft that is partly submerged in the wastewater. These disks provide surface for the microorganisms to grow. As they grow, these organisms remove the nutrients in the wastewater. The organisms are later removed from the treated water, and disinfection using chlorine follows, leaving the water clean enough to meet the stringent limitations of our National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.

The facility is equipped with a full laboratory and staff for monitoring the discharge quality. The water discharged from the Cheboygan Wastewater Treatment Facility is sent to the Cheboygan River approximately ½ mile from the mouth of the river, where it flows into Lake Huron.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions frequently asked of the Water and Wastewater Departments.

Do I need a water softener?

The City’s water supply contains about 8 to 9 grains of hardness, so a water softener is not necessary.

Who pays for cleaning plugged sewer lines?

City policy states that a customer should call the Wastewater Department before contacting a plumber. City personnel will check and clean the public sewer lines serving the residence, and advise the resident of their findings. Blockage of the service line from the building to the sewer main is the responsibility of the owner/resident. Blockage of the sewer main is the responsibility of the City.

Who do I contact for connecting to the water or sewer system?

Call (231) 627-2582 during normal business hours.

Who do I call if I have a question about my water and sewer bill?

Call Debbie at City Hall. Her direct line is (231) 627-3592.

What is the cost to connect to the water and/or sewer system?

Water and sewer tapping fees are based on Residential Equivalency Units (REUs). All private residential houses are classified as one REU. Commercial buildings are compared against an REU based on the type of business, the size of the building, and the projected amount of water use.

The connection fees for both water and sewer are the same and are listed below:

  • $600 per REU, and $100 for inspection plus materials.

If it is necessary to cut a paved road, roadway restoration are as follows:

  • $300 if the cut is less than or equal to 1/4 of the width of the road.
  • $500 if the cut is less than or equal to 1/2 of the width of the road.
  • $700 if the cut exceeds 1/2 the width of the road.

The cost of the materials will be added to the above fees. Appropriate fees are determined by the Superintendent of the Department of Public Works, and are subject to change based on the changing market conditions.

REUs for commercial buildings are calculated as follows:

Occupation Use REU Factor
Apartments .5 per dwelling
Auto Dealers – New and/or Used 1.0 per premise plus .25 per 1,000 sq. ft.
Auto Repair/Collision 1.0 per premise plus .25 per 1,000 sq. ft.
Bars/Tavern 4.0 per 1,000 sq. ft.
Barber Shops 1.0 per shop plus 0.1 per chair after 2 chairs
Beauty Shops 1.0 per shop plus 0.1 per booth
Bowling Alleys 1.0 per premise plus 0.2 per alley
Churches .25 per 1,000 sq. ft., minimum of 1.0
Clinics (Medical or Dental) 1.0 per premise plus .5 per exam room
Drug Stores 1.0 per premise
Factories (Office and Production) .75 per 1,000 sq. ft.
Grocery Stores & Super Markets 1.0 per premise plus 0.8 per 1,000 sq.ft.
Hotels and Motels .4 per bedroom plus restaurant and bar
Industrial (Light) .25 per 1,000 sq.ft.
Marina .1 per boat slip
Mobile Homes 1.0 per unit
Professional Office .25 per 500 sq.ft., minimum of 1.0
Restaurants 3.5 per 1,000 sq.ft.
Service Stations 1.5 per 1,000 sq.ft.
Retail Store 1.0 per premise plus 0.1 per 1,000 sq.ft.
Warehouse and Storage .2 per 1,000 sq.ft.